Saturday, January 27, 2007

traveling

On February first I will be flying to Kunming where I will meet up with a Chinese friend, spend some days marveling at a thing called sunlight, and then go to a place that, I imagine, very few other travelers will be going. I realize Yunnan is a very large place, and that I ought to go see all manner of very famous locales--but I am tired of traveling for the sake of collecting places that I have visited. It's stressful. If I go to the northwest I will be overwhelmed by all the things to do and see--the same if I go straight to the southernmost border, to Xishuangbanna. Maybe I'll save those for another time. But, at present, I just want an actual vacation.

So I think will go here where I will spend a good number of days relaxing and exploring the environs, and perhaps also work on writing, studying Chinese, and taking a good number of short naps. I just hope at least a few people speak mandarin there (the major ethnic group in the region are the Hani) so I can get some good speaking practice.

If I can get dependable internet access I will probably also update this blog--since China broke my camera, I have no other means to record what I see and do.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Xishuangbanna is very relaxing...It's the Dali-Lijiang-Zhongdian route that is for "place collecting," though Hutiaoxia is spectacular. Where in Yunnan is Yuanyang? Southwest of Kunming?

9:36 AM  
Blogger KMM said...

It's actually to the south-east a ways. It looks to be a very out-of-the-way location, far from other tourist spots.

But I realized after I made this post good chance that I'll meet some people in the hostel in Kunming and then just hitch along with them.

7:17 PM  
Blogger tveye said...

kmm,

i read on doom's blog that you were livin in chengdu. i was just wondering if you had any suggestions about places to teach there. i'd appreciate any insight you've got. thanks! e-mail: michaelt at softhome.net

10:46 AM  
Blogger tveye said...

oh, and btw, i'd like to second brandon's tigerleapinggorge comment. it's pretty breathtaking. not only in the hike but in the view as well. i trekked most of it solo, but it's probably more enjoyable with a pal.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home