Tuesday, March 20, 2007

letters from peru--i put on pants!--gastronomical adventures

Ever since I arrived in China I have been receiving email after email from family and friends inquiring feverishly into my progress on eating rabbit's head. Take this letter from my mom for example, sent just last week:

"Dear Bob,
Did you eat rabbit's head yet, or what?
Love,
Eleanor Roosevelt"

Or this letter from Guillermo, some guy in Peru who I've never met:

"Dear Jose,
The rabbit's head is not mine, and I don't know what to do with it.
Love,
Mom"

Naturally when you're under this kind of pressure from your mother and Peruvians, you've got to do something about it. So, needing to make my parents and really the whole world proud of me, I finally put on some pants, went outside, and searched for rabbit head. It being the middle of the day, the only place to go was the Chinese Wal-Mart, which sells many body parts as well as tooth-paste and children's books. Looking at the rabbit heads, with their skin burned to a nice brown crisp, and their teeth jutting out like rabbit teeth jutting out of a decapitated, crispy brown head, I decided that eating rabbit's head was really gross.

I bought two of them and also a roast chicken because it is delicious. Then I went home and ate them with my girlfriend. She showed me how to rip apart the head by pulling it apart violently at the jaw. It was fun. Then we ate it by sucking off the thin strips of meat along the head. It definitely tasted like meat. I let her go for the brains and the eyeball, cause it's just not my thing.

Overall, it was a disgusting, yet somehow primal, experience--I don't recommend it unless you haven't eaten eyeball or brains for a long time.

Also, please stop sending me emails about rabbit's heads, and just about heads in general.

Oh, and here is a picture of a rabbit. It is a small animal in the horse family, and is related to the Quark:



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home