Friday, March 30, 2007

oh man--major awesome hardcore--studying

April 11th 2007 will be the official one year anniversary of my second arrival in China. To celebrate this vainglorious achievement I will, beginning Monday, devote every waking hour of my day to studying Chinese and, since I dream in Chinese a lot, I will also try to devote every sleeping hour to this pursuit.

Why am I doing this? The main reason is because goddamnit my Chinese just isn't good enough. And, even though I study pretty regularly and am improving at a reasonable pace, I'm just not improving fast enough--sometimes I need binge-studying periods to rapidly increase my level, or at least my knowledge-base.

So how am I going to study?

1. Listen to lots of chinesepod podcasts over and over again (I won't do the exercises because I'm too poor/cheap to pay for the service).
2. Speak all in Chinese with my girlfriend, and not use any fun-but-ultimately-useless pidgin Chinese.
3. Read comic books and use the new vocab to create lots of vocab lists from the comics. Do the same with some books I bought intended for young teenagers.
4. Watch lots and lots of television and Chinese movies.
5. Find my long lost brother, Higaldo.

That's my plan, anyway. That's also how I tend to study--just throw myself at everything I can, pick up what I can, move on, and throw myself at something new. It's an ugly, messy system, but it seems to work.

I'll be doing this again around June 11th, which will mark roughly two years total that I've lived in China. At that point I'd best be damned well conversant on most every topic, excluding impossibly difficult ones such as Curling, or Bananarama.

If you would like to support me in my efforts to learn the Chinese language, you can send me money.

Thank you.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Good for you! I, too, am resolving to crank up my Chinese study. I found some incredible inspiration recently from this guy's methods, who learned Japanese in 18 months. I think his method carries over perfectly to Chinese study.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Troika said...

When my Chinese ex-girlfriend was studying English (many years ago) I used to get her to wear her portable CD headphones with the Linguaphone CD in as she blew me off. I highly recommend this method.

10:50 PM  
Blogger KMM said...

Hey, Jim thanks, that website was actually pretty useful. I downloaded the flashcard program he recommends and it's great.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home