Monday, May 21, 2007

chinese overdose

It had to happen eventually. My girlfriend only speaks in Chinese with me. We also watch lots of Chinese television shows together. When I sit down and watch my own English language TV shows I keep my laptop open with my flashcard program on, studying flash cards in five minute intervals. I listen to chinesepod about once or twice a day. I think a lot about Chinese, wondering how to express myself in certain ways, thinking about all the mistakes I make everyday, and so on and so forth.

And, the fact of the matter is, I'm still no where near fluency, so no communication or even passive studying is ever, ever easy. It's tiring. Exhausting. And I'm still at least a year away from being really, really comfortable with my level.

To put it simply, and scientifically, my brain has been packed with so much Chinese, it's starting to leak, and it's getting on everything. So I've decided to take a break, which will last until I get frustrated with myself again for not being good enough. That gives me about a week, I think.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the states this summer.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous John said...

Man, I've totally been there. That constant exhaustion is actually a good sign. It will not last forever.

And I do think that taking a break is a GOOD thing... as long as it comes to an end sometime.

7:25 PM  
Blogger KMM said...

Yeah, it's always good to have people remind me that's it good to take a break. I'm a little too hard on myself usually.

I'm looking forward to the exhaustion not lasting forever.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home